Monday, March 14, 2011

Slump...................

It is not entirely my son's fault. He hasn't been able to see his teacher for nearly two months due to his (teacher's) busy schedule. Meanwhile, he has been working on a couple of new pieces and a few of the ongoing ones, but he needs someone to kick his butt time to time (who is not me...:))

There are limits to what I can do for him. First of all, I don't play the violin! My ears are pretty good for spotting intonation issues, but not perfect. I have two other children who need my assistance. Therefore I cannot keep an eye on him all the time. When I am at work I am not sure how many real hours he put in for practicing. All I can do is to believe what he says.

I am getting a little tired of having arguing matches with him. He is probably hitting a full blown teenage mode. He has excuses to do just the opposite for everything I tell him to do or not to do.

Well, he created the system of practicing 50 minutes and take 10 minute break in between practices, but the thing is yeah, say he does 50 minutes of practicing, but it is never a 10 minute break. It will be more like 50 minute break in between. I don't mind it if we had 48 hours in a day, but he has homework to do, he needs to eat. It is just simply impossible to take that long of breaks.

I just can't wait for him to have a lesson next month (finally!!!!). Hopefully his teacher will give him a loud wake-up call:)

3 comments:

weirsdo said...

That is a big worry. Mall Diva does all her practicing in secret so I won't bug her. I have just had to resolve not to worry, and fortunately she is conscientious.
Here's another inspiring link for you. Nadir just won $40,000 and a new violin.

violinomama said...

Thanks for the link. He is wonderful! This is the next piece my sun has to learn. He is still working on staccato part to be more stable. Where is Nadir from?

weirsdo said...

He's from Uzbekistan, but he came to the U. S. quite young (14?) to study with Sergiu Schwartz, and before that he studied at the Moscow Conservatory some, and was a protegé of Vladimir Spivakov.
When he was 15, Nadir's family moved to Atlanta, and he studied with Mall Diva's old teacher, Patricio Cobos, for a year at Columbus State University, until Pat retired and Sergiu Schwartz was hired.
In their wisdom the INS would not let Nadir's father (and first teacher) stay in the U. S. Even though he had students and gigs, a wife who was a capable pianist, and a son who had won silver medals in two international competitions at 16, to the INS he looked like a non-English speaking freeloader, so Nadir had to leave the country with his family for a year before returning to Columbus State University to finish his undergraduate studies. This is Nadir's first year at Curtis.
Besides being phenomenally talented, he is a kind and gracious young man.