Saturday, July 23, 2011

Where is my son??

My son left for the 6-week summer camp up north in mid June. This was the first time he participated in a camp by himself. I've been always with him till last year. A couple of mini vans were to pick up the students at the assigned location in the city and drive them to the camp sight. We decided to get to the pick-up location bit early just in case we got lost, but about 10 students were already there chatting away. It seemed like everyone knew each other. One boy whom my son met at a competition was there and he greeted my son with a big smile, then went right back into the conversation with others. My son on the other hand, usually a social guy, but shy in the beginning, can't seem to get into the conversation. I tried to nudge him into the group, but he wouldn't go for it. Then a older boy approached me and introduced himself who turned out to be one of the teaching assistants. (He wasn't a boy, he was a grown man with a baby face:)) He assured me that he was going to take good care of my son. I was somewhat relieved knowing that even if he doesn't make friends, at least he has his counselor by him. Soon everyone started boarding. Of course my son was the last one to get in and all the way in the back by himself.....

My heart was aching worrying if he's gonna be ok without me......
I was completely wrong. That night, he called me to let me know he safely made it to the camp talking to his roommates in between like they've known each other for ages.
Then..... he stopped calling us. I tried to text him - no response. I left him a message - no response. Finally, guilt trip texting paid off. "I don't hear from you any more. I don't know if you are alive or dead. r u ok?" He responded "fine". That's it!?!?
After a few days of that very detailed:) text response, I finally got to talk to him. I could hear his roommates in the back ground laughing, talking loud, etc. My son said "Mom, I am having so much fun, I don't wanna go home." He said they've been watching a lot of Youtube videos by many different classical artists at night, talking about chamber music pieces they were working on. He sounded tired, but happy. No wonder I don't hear from him. He is having a life of his time sharing the love of music with his new friends who can relate to one another:)
It's gonna be so hard to track him down, but at least I know what he is doing when I don't hear from him.

4 comments:

weirsdo said...

That's so great. My daughter just got back from Bowdoin International Music Festival. It is her favorite place in the whole world.

weirsdo said...

P. S. I wanted to share this link with you. The sound clip is my daughter's trio from the first session at Bowdoin.
I would of course be interested to hear your son(s) any time : )

violinomama said...

Hi weirsdo!

You daughter is soooo good!!!!
Amazing! I love Mendelssohn trio. It is a gorgeous piece, isn't it. My son just came back being motivated than ever. I don't have to tell him to practice for the first time in a long time!!
He played some chamber music there, but I guess there's a policy they are not to be shared on the web:( He still has not shared those files with me either... Hope he played OK:)

weirsdo said...

Thanks, and thanks for listening. Blogger seems to have eaten my first comment, which was just that Mall Diva has had an experience similar to your son's (only she does write and call--I think it's a girl thing) both summers she's been at Bowdoin International Musc Festival. She loves it and hates to leave.