Monday, February 27, 2012

To the Parents

I just started thinking. What could I contribute to the parents whose kids are studying music? As a mother of three children who studies different instruments, it may be small but I can share some insight, I think...


The reason I started my kids to learn instruments is that I love music, and I wanted my kids to love it, too. I was working at the day care my children attended and was not satisfied with the music education they were receiving. They sing and listen to CDs the teachers play. That was it. In Japan where I grew up, we had at least once or twice of music class and started to learn how to play harmonicas at 1st and 2nd grades and move on to recorders, xylophones and other instruments at the upper grades. By the time you are 5th or 6th grade, you can at least read some easy musical notes (do re mi). This was not even at a conservatory. This was taught in regular public schools.

Then my quest for the private music lesson started. First, I asked my two older children who were around 6 and 4 at the time which instrument they wanted to learn. My youngest was still a baby so he didn't start until he was 3. My oldest said "violin" my middle one said "piano".

I have never really listen to classical music at will growing up. I took some piano lessons for about 5 years when I was about ten until fifteen, but really never was aware whose music I was playing. I just enjoyed what I was playing. That was it.

So my son wanted to learn how to play violin. I have seen a violin, but didn't even know how many strings there were on it nor you have to tune it to play, but first thing first, I started to look for a teacher.

I went to a local music studio where they teach many different instruments. I asked the guy at the front who was the owner of the studio, if they were teaching violin. His reply was that kids, especially young children, think playing the violin is cool and start the lesson, then realize how hard it is to play and drop out in most cases. So he recommended my son started from piano and later when he is old, he can learn the violin if he is still interested in.

Not knowing anything, I took his words and signed both children for the piano lessons. They had different teachers since I wanted both of the take lessons at the same time every week. My daughter was doing fine, but my son hated it. The teacher wanted him to read the music, but remember he is 6 years old and just started to read English. He was so confused and felt he was not smart. I tried to help him, but he just started getting angry each time he practiced. My instinct kicked in and had him withdraw from the lesson within two months. I loved piano and I didn't want him to hate it.

Then I consulted his homeroom teacher. I told her he wanted to learn how to play violin, but was told he was too young at a music studio. She told me that she knew a friend who teaches violin and her son was the same age as my son and has been playing the violin since he was 3. She promised me that she would contact her on our behalf. Next thing I knew my son's teacher arranged the violin teacher to come to school and whoever is interested in could sign up for the group lesson!

I am forever grateful to her for that.

I don't want this post to be too long, so I will continue with the next post where I left off, but sometimes you have to trust your motherly instinct when it comes to a right fit. Does he/she really enjoy it? Especially when they are young, if they don't like it, it won't last and will be a battle to have him/her practice.

No comments: